Week in Words: 14th - 21st May 2017

Welcome to my very first Week in Words, my new regular feature where I look back at what I've been reading and watching over the past seven days.

Books


Last Sunday I finished Snowblind by Ragnar Jonasson, having only started it the day before. It's a book I've been meaning to read for some time, I'm glad I finally got to it because I loved it. You can read my review here











I currently have three books on the go. I'll most likely finish Western Fringes by Amer Anwar later today so look out for my review early next week. I don't think it's too much of a spoiler to say it's going to be a very complimentary review!







After finishing Snowblind, I immediately started the second book in the Dark Iceland series, Nightblind. It's only my busy week and the fact I'm switching between three books that has stopped me racing through this one too as I'm enjoying it just as much. Congratulations to Ragnar Jonasson, shortlisted for the CrimeFest eDunnit Award in Bristol this weekend.







On Wednesday I travelled up to London for the Orenda Roadshow at Waterstones Piccadilly. You can read my post about it here. I started reading Gunnar Staalesen's latest book, Wolves in the Dark on the train and have been kicking myself ever since that I haven't read any of his Varg Veum stories before now, with almost 40 years of the series to catch up on I certainly have lots to look forward to! Huge congratulations to Gunnar, winner of the Petrona Award at CrimeFest for Where Roses Never Die.




Television


It's dark and he's wearing sunglasses (image from denofgeek.com)
I haven't watched much television this week. It's definitely been all about the written word this week! I never miss Doctor Who though, and thought Extremis was another excellent episode in what has so far been a superb season. It appears to have divided opinion somewhat with some people finding it too muddled and unnecessarily complicated. However, I found it tense and  thought-provoking and can't wait to see if things are resolved in the second part of this adventure next week.

Sing a yo ho (image from popsugar.com)
Talking of two-parters, I've yet to catch up with the finale of Once Upon a Time but I have rewatched the cheesily fantastic musical episode,The Song in Your Heart. I loved every single moment but if pushed I'd say enjoyed Josh Dallas giving it everything was what I loved most. Always a pleasure to see Hook in his pirate leather and guyliner too.

Some pig! (image from imdb.com)

This morning I watched Charlotte's Web again with my 9 year old daughter. It's a film I've seen several times before but I think it's a lovely adaptation of one of the finest children's books of all time.

Next Week
Once I've finished the books I'm currently reading, I'll be starting We've Come To Take You Home by Susan Gandar, and The Former Chief Executive by Kate Vane. I have several more books lined up (of course!), including the three I bought at the Orenda Roadshow, The Mountain in my Shoe by Louise Beech, A Suitable Lie by Michael J. Malone, and Exquisite by Sarah Stovell.

Hope you all enjoy your visits to different places next week. I thought this picture I spotted on Twitter was perfect!

(h/t @thelaceylondon on Twitter)
I'd love to hear what you've been enjoying. Happy reading everyone!

Comments