Ten Bookish Facts About Me

I thought I'd post something a little different from my usual reviews today and instead list ten bookish facts about me.

1. I don't treat my books very well (sorry!) Corners folded, wet pages after I read in the bath, food stains... I don't write in them though, and I love my scruffy books.

Book purists may prefer to avert their eyes.

2. If I ever have to choose one book to save in a zombie apocalypse I'm definitely destined to become dinner. How could I just choose one?

3. I've had a few pets with literary names. Gatsby, Portia and Ron Weasley were rabbits (Ron actually belonged to one of my daughters) and my wonderful, gentle Eliot (T.S. rather than George) who was the cat I rescued when I was a veterinary nurse. We currently have Ibsen the rabbit who belongs to my youngest daughter and is named after a dog in Matt Haig's Shadow Forest rather than the Norwegian playwright. Ibsen needs a new friend so we'll have to think of another bookish name for the new bun. We also have a dog called Eddie, Monty (Python) the cat and a tortoise named Speedy.

Ibsen - in a doll's house

4. One of my most prized possessions is my copy of the Complete Works of Shakespeare, given to me by my uncle on my 18th birthday. Definitely a contender for my zombie apocalypse book, when I was younger I used to prop it up in bed to read it at night. My favourite play is probably King Lear with Hamlet and Much Ado About Nothing close behind.

5. I've not read many classics since leaving school, although I loved studying them for English. Perhaps I need to read them with a York Notes and set myself essays to really appreciate them?!

6. For a few years I read very little fiction, preferring memoirs and biographies. Bill Bryson was my favourite author but I haven't actually bought any of his books since The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid. Feel free to recommend his newer books to me, I'm very easily persuaded!

7. I love reading books aloud to children even once they're able to read to themselves. My accents probably leave a lot to be desired though...


via GIPHY


8. I used to write a lot of poetry when I was younger, I had a book I used to carry around with me for when inspiration struck. I don't really have a favourite poet, but I do have a particular fondness for the poems written during WW1.

9. I still have the books I accidentally never returned to my school library. I left school in 1990. They include a book of Robert Frost poems, non-fiction books about Stalin and Hitler and Measure for Measure. I dread to think what the fines would be now!

10. You can read more about me, including why I called this blog Hair Past A Freckle here.

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed finding out a little more about me. I'd love to hear some of your own bookish facts too.

Eddie, not named after a book character but he's my favourite reading companion.

Comments

  1. Fab post! Really enjoyed reading your bookish facts! Great idea for a blog post!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment